15 August 2008

sewing - yet again!

I think I am slowly moving away from sewing. Not sure if there is anything left out there for me to sew! Instead I have moved on to stripping, sanding, and staining a little crib. (Romans is still in his, not gunna kick him out of the cage if I don't have to) Now I just need to paint the rest of the crib that isn't stained. Hoping to do that tomorrow. Then I need to sand and paint a little dresser I am using for a changing table. I know, I too am wondering why I didn't do those things earlier. My doctor actaully asked me on Wednedsay (37 weeks) if I wanted him to strip my membranes. NOOOOOO!!!!! I am in panic mode. Not panic because of a labor or a new baby, panic because I need more time to finish stuff and get ready! And panic because my 2 1/2 year old is in full swing terrible twos. Serious huge kicking and hitting and crying fits about EVERYTHING! Wow I love being a mom!
Anyway, here are some pictures of the things I have made since the last sewing post.

Car seat cover. Minky inside, and soft kinda like velor outside. Quilt batting in the middle so it is nice and warm. Is the zebra a bit much? Had it sitting around so I just used it.

Car seat blanket. Someone made me one like it for Roman. I pretty much wore it out. Has 4 rounded over flaps and cut outs for the seatbelt/buckle. Then you flip up the bottom, flip over both sides, and you can cover their head with the top flap. Seatbelt still fits nice and tight, baby is totally covered, and blanket doesn't fall off. I know it looks silly, but I love love love it.
Just a few of the burp clothes and diaper/wipes cases I have been making. I know WAY too many people having babies, and this is what they are all getting. Plus a few for me of course. Made up my own patterns, but I am sure there are lots floating around in blog land. Roman modeling his new apron. A bit big still. Not the best picture, looks cute in real life I promise. Used this tutorial but changed how the neck strap is. I used velcro on one side, because if any kid was to get tangled up in the strap it would be this kid. Romes loves it to death. Now he can "cook like mama".
Roman chillaxing in his hooded bath towel. Uses it at the pool and spray park too. It gets washed A LOT. Think I need to make one or two more. Very very easy project. Used this tutorial, but didn't bother cutting off the point of the hood. Word of advice, buy two bath towels and one hand towel, then you will have 2 hooded towels. Didn't realize when I bought the towels that one hand towel gives you 2 hoods. And of course I bought the towels at Target when we were in the states so I can't get another one to match.

Hemmed new curtains. But I have a double curtain rod in the room so I needed something else. So I made a valence with the left over fabric from the crib bumper pads I made. First valence I have ever made or used. Opinions please. Am I allowed to use a valence? I am a little afraid the 80's might call and say they want their valence back!
Bird mobile. Bad picture I know, hard to get those birdies to hold still! Got the mobile while garage saleing with Steph. Three dollars. Immediately cut off the ugly bears that were on it. I hate baby stuff with bears. Sorry to offend bear lovers everywhere. Got the bird idea and pattern here. Another very easy and quick project completed in one naptime.
A few more blankets. Orange cotton and brown/cream flannel. Simple pillow case style, quilted with circles so it won't shift when washed. Found double sided minky on sale in Kalispell this summer, used Amy Butler polka dots in green, yellow, and blue for binding it.

I must thank my awesome husband for this chair. I love the armchair rockers at Pottery Barn and Land of Nod, but there is no way I am paying over $800 dollars plus shipping for one. So I bought this chair at Ikea. Got an old swivel rocker from my grandma. Convinced Brad it would be so much fun to take the swivel rocker thing off one chair and put it on the other. And oh what fun it is! But I might not be saying that at 4:00 in the morning 3 weeks from now...
And last but not least... my baby quilt is done! Random is harder than you would think. It is also hard to find solid blue fabric. I had to use shirting material for the blue. I laugh every time I look at it because it perfectly matches a church shirt both Brad and Roman have! Totally copied the idea from this blog. Copied the colors, used her tutorial as a starting place, and even copied one or two of her blocks. It's a little crazy to look at, but I love how it turned out and it was fun to make.
Wow that was a lot of stuff. I must admit I will miss nap time and bedtime sewing once the baby comes. But I can't wait to use all the stuff I have made!

14 comments:

Tisha said...

I didn't think it was possible, but I think you have sewn more than I have! It is all SO cute! I seriously love everything. I love the zebra carseat cover! I'm kind of a huge fan of zebra! So awesome! If you need anything when the baby gets here, give me a call! TJ would love to play with Roman for an afternoon if you need some time off!

Stephanie M Larsen said...

You are so talented, woman. I'm feeling inspired. Every spare moment I have I sew lately (not that my ADD lets me complete anything) but it's fun never the less. I wish we lived close and we could stay up all night sewing together in our jammies with lots of chocolate! Have you made Max/Finn a bow tie or reg. tie yet?

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am SO JEALOUS! I only wish I could somehow get in the time to sew as much baby stuff as you. I've been diligently working on it, but home alone with a 19 month old who seems to already be in her terrible two's... Just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day for all I want to do.
Well I have many weeks to go (I'm 24 weeks preggo now) until new baby comes so maybe I'll catch up!
Anyways, LOVE all of your stuff.

KellyLady said...

It all looks fabulous as usual! Good luck in finishing your projects before #2 gets here!

Melissa said...

I love all the progects! You give me so many ideas....great fabric too!

LindsayB said...

umm, wow. apparently i'm a huge slacker.

jacquie said...

i'm so glad i stumbled onto your blog and saw this! congrats! it looks lovely. i'm so glad you were inspired by my quilt and that i had a chance to see yours.

Anonymous said...

hey dude really good and reliable information about car seat covers.

Pretty Little Things for Home & Life said...

Wow!!! I can't wait to get my sewing machine for my bday, as I see posts like this and I get so inspired.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog on Sew, Mama, Sew. What amazing projects! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Blake said...

Can you please tell me more about turning the Ikea chair into a glider? Do you still like it? Is it sturdy? We have a glider rocker (not swivel) that I would love to take apart and use on the Jennylund chair. I even found a company that makes cute, custom slipcovers for ikea chairs (Bemz). Any help you can give me would be great!

Savvy Addy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Savvy Addy said...

Me too! I'm with Blake - can you give any more details about the Ikea chair? I just left the store and fell in love with the Jennylund chair - I just need it to glider.

Your site is adoreable!

Carrie said...

I was just about to buy the same Ikea Ektorp chair in white and wanted to convert it too. So glad to see someone else has done this. Can you explain more how you did this?! Can your head rest comfortably?