19 May 2009

a few extra calories

Okay, a LOT more than a few extras. Especially because I polished off the leftovers in 2 days all by myself.
On Sunday I made this.
Ignore the lovely avocado green cake taker. A cake stand is high on my lists of wants, but I have yet to find one I love - that I can afford.
But even surrounded by avocado green this little beauty was DELISH! I love sweets. Love them. I have no self control when it comes to them. None at all. I can usually control myself on chocolate deserts. Sometimes I even make myself proud and pass on chocolate. I am all about berries or citrus. So when I saw this on The Pioneer Woman Cooks I was so excited.
Strawberry Shortcake Cake.
I was too busy eating my cake to take a picture of the inside. This is PW's picture.
Are you hungry yet?
It was the most deliciously scrumptious batter you have ever tasted. A mix between cake batter and cookie dough. I licked the spatula. I licked the beater. I used my fingers to lick to bowl. I even went so far as to get a clean spoon just to have one more taste of what was in the cake pan. And the cake did not disappoint. Mashed juicy strawberries hidden inside. Cream cheese icing. Which I am not really a fan of, until now. Why has no one ever told me to whip the crap out of cream cheese icing? The best cream cheese icing I have ever tasted.
I can't wait until I have fresh peaches and raspberries this summer to try with this cake.

I need an excuse to bake it again. Anyone want to have a party and invite me and my cake?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know that you have a standing invitation at my place, even without your sweets...although, if you showed up at my place with THAT cake, I would love you forever. I was just on PW's blog and saw that recipe this week, thinking to myself that I needed to make it!

Jill

Val said...

I have to make that...or... as per your offer have a get together just so I can have you bring that cake!

Shelley said...

Now I want cake for breakfast - THAT cake. It looks so pretty - strawberries are a weakness of mine too. I also am a beater/bown/spoon licker - and a good batter is always a bonus. Have to try this one...

Just Rhonda said...

hmmmmmm looks TASTY!!!!

Kristin Ross said...

Yum! It looks as good as you say it tastes. I think I might have to try it too.

Christal said...

That looks so good Martha!!! I'm a beater bowl licker too you are not alone ha ha!! ttys

Susie said...

Done! You are so invited to my party & if you can't make it I'll come to you. Sounds good to me. k

Jacklyn said...

I learned about whipping cream cheese icing to death a few years ago...and my waist line has never been the same. Oh wait is that from having kids? nope I'm pretty sure it's my love of cream cheese frosting. How about you make the cake when I am home around the first and we can sit with 2 forks and eat it all!!!! (I'm serious)

Nancy said...

I found a wonderful plain glass cake plate WITH a dome lid for $9.99 at Target a few weeks ago. My sister needed it for Mothers Day...
Me? I have 4 cake plates. 3 from Antique shops and one red/white striped beauty...

Kinsey said...

Yum! Now I have to go make a cake...thanks Whitney!

Tisha said...

That looks SO good! And I hear you about a cake stand. I have a plain glass one that suffices for now, but the ones I really want just aren't an option right now!!

Brittany said...

YOU NEVER NEED AN EXCUSE!!!! Looks so yummy, and you need to look at WINNERS for cake plates, I have scored plenty of time there, and also superstore has some every now and then!!