07 March 2006

he is finally here!

We finally got our little baby boy - Roman Henry Davis. I went into labor on my due date, Feb 27, and was going to be put on a drip the next day to move things along, but labor stopped after 9 hours. So when it started again on March second I didn't get my hopes up,
but my water broke that night. (Brad wasn't impressed that it was right before survivor started!) So I spent Thursday night in the hospital with smaller contractions and my mom and Brad came back the next morning when I was started on an oxytocin drip. Boy did that do the trick. Ouch. But then I got an epidural and all was well. So from start to finish was 5 hours, most of which was epidural so who cares and then 45 minutes of pushing and we got our little boy March 3 at 2:35 pm. 7 lbs 15 oz, 21 inches. So pretty average size, but he got his dad's long limbs, fingers, and toes and big feet and hands. We can't really tell who he looks most like yet, I think Brad is winning at this point - guess we will see when he grows a bit.
Brad is a very proud daddy. His ability to be a great dad was one of the things that made me want to marry him, so it makes me very happy to finally be able to help him get his little boy. I must admit I am very into being a mommy too, I could just sit and look at Roman for hours.
Sorry for the late post, we had a few days of working to get him to eat enough to keep his strength up, not get dehydrated, and clear his billiruben - we have a yellow baby on our hands who wouldn't pee or poop much and alsmost had to go back to the hospital for the baby tanning bed. It was pretty much a day or two of working on feeding and supplimenting, which usually took up to and hour cause he was so sleepy, then an hour break and start all over agian. But he is doing great today (after my milk came in) and all is well.
My mom was able to come up to Edmonton for awhile before he was born and then she was there for the delivery and is here helping until this weekend. It was a great expereince to be able to share Roman's birth with her and I think it was good for Brad to have someone else there to support him too so he wasn't the only one supporting me. And I would be falling apart if she wasn't here now to help and take him in the morning so I can get some sleep. Brad was AWESOME through the whole thing, I coudln't have done it without him. I felt so loved and supported without him even saying a word and this gave me strenght when I needed it. He was able to sleep at the hospital the first night with me and the baby too which was a great bonding experience for our little family. Brad even got me a dozen red roses, so sweet and that's why I love him!
So here is a before and after picture, and a few of our favorites. I think most everyone who looks at the blog already got an email with pictures, but I will update again in a few days because we are those crazy first time parents who take a picture of EVERYTHING and think it is so cute!


Anonymous said...

little Roman looks like a keeper
we are so glad he is here and healthy

I hope grandma Carol is getting fill of holding
We are so exctied for the new Davis family

Anonymous said...

Whit, I can't decide which is harder to get use to, you with a baby or you with a blog. Any way congratulations good job with Roman.
Aunt Shan

LindsayB said...

He is to die for whit. I'll come and cuddle with him anytime. Hope you are getting some sleep here and there.

Susie said...

Ahhh, he looks so darling. I so need to come and see you guys. I'll just have to make sure I have lots of time, because I think I could cuddle with him for quite a while. Awww the beauty and simplicity of a baby. So happy for you and Brad, cute parents, adorable baby. See you soon I hope.

Just Rhonda said...

So happy all went well for you guys. Enjoy that sleep when you can!!! Love you!

mom said...

being a mommy and daddy looks good on both of you. What a beautiful little boy!